Rules for Safe Gun Handling
Three basic rules apply whenever you are handling a gun – under all circumstances. Rule Number 1 is the “Golden Rule of Gun Safety.”
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Rules for Safe Gun Use and Storage
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Know how to safely use the gun.
- Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
- Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
- Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
- Store guns so that they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.